Barely 24 hours after the Senate passed the South East Development Commission, SEDC (Establishment) Bill, 2018, it has again started the process of setting up the North West Development Commission, NWDC via the presentation of a bill to that effect.
The bill, entitled: “North West Development Commission (Establishment, etc) Bill, 2018”, which is being sponsored by Senator Jibrin Barau, APC-Kano North, was read for the first time on Thursday at the plenary presided over by the Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu.
If passed by the Senate and signed into law along with the SEDC, it will bring to four the number of regional interventionist agencies in the country.
Already in existence are the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC and the North East Development Commission, NEDC, which establishment bill received presidential assent in October 2017.
However, four other bills passed second reading on the floor of the upper legislative chamber yesterday.
One of them is a Bill for an Act to repeal the Nuclear Safety and Radiation Protection Act and enact the Nuclear Safety, Security and Safeguards Act.
The bill is sponsored by Senator Donald Alasoadura, APC-Ondo Central and the legislative proposal seeks to re-establish the Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority.
Also passed for second reading was a bill for an Act to establish the Federal Capital Territory Health Insurance Agency.
The bill, which is sponsored by Senator Philip Aduda, PDP-FCT is also proposing the institution of the Federal Capital Territory insurance Scheme for all residents of the FCT.
Other bills that passed for second reading are: the Federal University, Uga, Anambra State, Establishment Bill 2018, sponsored by Senator Andy Uba, APC-Anambra Central, and the FCT Health Care Board Establishment Bill 2018, also sponsored by Senator Aduda.
- FG lost N113m over Abuja-Kaduna railway closure – NRC
- Aisha Buhari withdraws case against critic Aminu Mohammed
- INEC announces dates for PVCs collection
- Ronaldo denies reports he swore at Portugal coach over substitution
- Lagos marks International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- Soludo presents appointment letters to 5, 000 newly recruited teachers in Anambra
- Again, INEC office set ablaze in Imo
- No end to fuel scarcity — Oil marketers
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus