Barely 24 hours after the Senate passed the South East Development Commission, SEDC (Establishment) Bill, 2018, it has again started the process of setting up the North West Development Commission, NWDC via the presentation of a bill to that effect.
The bill, entitled: “North West Development Commission (Establishment, etc) Bill, 2018”, which is being sponsored by Senator Jibrin Barau, APC-Kano North, was read for the first time on Thursday at the plenary presided over by the Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu.
If passed by the Senate and signed into law along with the SEDC, it will bring to four the number of regional interventionist agencies in the country.
Already in existence are the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC and the North East Development Commission, NEDC, which establishment bill received presidential assent in October 2017.
However, four other bills passed second reading on the floor of the upper legislative chamber yesterday.
One of them is a Bill for an Act to repeal the Nuclear Safety and Radiation Protection Act and enact the Nuclear Safety, Security and Safeguards Act.
The bill is sponsored by Senator Donald Alasoadura, APC-Ondo Central and the legislative proposal seeks to re-establish the Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority.
Also passed for second reading was a bill for an Act to establish the Federal Capital Territory Health Insurance Agency.
The bill, which is sponsored by Senator Philip Aduda, PDP-FCT is also proposing the institution of the Federal Capital Territory insurance Scheme for all residents of the FCT.
Other bills that passed for second reading are: the Federal University, Uga, Anambra State, Establishment Bill 2018, sponsored by Senator Andy Uba, APC-Anambra Central, and the FCT Health Care Board Establishment Bill 2018, also sponsored by Senator Aduda.
- EFCC takes over Uzor Kalu’s properties after conviction
- SAD…. Mimiko looses 88yr-old mother
- (SEE FULL DETAILS) Kwara commissioners and their portfolios
- BREAKING… Party loyalists storm Ilorin as Gov. Abdulrazaq swears-in 16 commissioners, 4 SAs, others
- 100 Ekiti women benefit from NITDA ICT training
- UNILORIN don reveals how theatre art can contribute to national devt.
- Man grusomely murdered in Ilorin by unknown assailants (PHOTOS)
- Sowore: Senate probes alleged court invasion by DSS operatives
- 2020: Senate considers N232.8bn budget for FCT
- Senate moves to end discrimination against women Police