Customs spokesman in Kwara, Mr Chado Zakari, stated in Ilorin on Monday that the patrol team had earlier impounded 40 bags of smuggled rice and 30 jerry cans of petrol hidden in a nearby bush alongside Sinau-Kenu Road.
“The suspected smugglers laid ambush and shot sporadically at the patrol van conveying the smuggled goods to government’s warehouse.
“In the exchange of fire that ensued, one officer succumbed to the cold hands of death, while three officers sustained life threatening injuries and are currently responding to treatment.
“The deceased, an assistant superintendent, Mr Saheed Aweda has been buried according to Islamic rights in his home town, Popogbona in Ilorin West Local Government Area of Kwara.
“The Comptroller, Mr Olugboyega Peters, has visited the family of the deceased to commiserate with its members,’’ Zakari stated.
He added that Mr Peters had ordered full-scale investigation into the assault to fish out the culprits.
- No end to fuel scarcity — Oil marketers
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus
- Again Twitter suspends Kanye’s account for violating rules
- Osun: Adeleke’s emergence as Gov divine– Traditional worshippers
- Aisha Buhari now wears dress meant for 3 people– Solomon Dalung
- A’Ibom YPP Guber Candidate Jailed For 42Yrs
- Abuja-Kaduna train service resumes Dec. 5– FG
- Angry youths set ablaze Iree Oba’s Palace in Osun
- Oyetola left N76bn debt, says Osun Govt