Angry mob last night killed and set two suspected armed robbers ablaze in Calabar, the Cross River State capital.
The incident happened along the popular Marian road, opposite Lion’s park, around 9pm on Monday, September 21.
It was gathered that the suspects, said to be in their teens, were part of a 3-man gang that allegedly attacked a popular super market named Sunnytex and were about to escape when someone raised alarm.
According to an eyewitness, residents around Sunnytex Supermarket noticed suspicious movements, raised an alarm and went after the armed youths immediately they fled. Narrating how they captured the robbers, the witness said,
“When we noticed that the boys were robbing, we decided to lay siege and accost them, we were not afraid because we discovered they had locally-made gun.
“Immediately they came out from the supermarket the mob went after them, and raised the alarm, funny enough, one of them too joined the mob in shouting “thief ooo” not knowing that he has been marked already.
“Two ran through a nearby street while the one who joined us in raising alarm wanted to escape via Rabana roundabout, he was apprehended and lynched. The other was also lynched and set ablaze.”
- New Naira notes: Police warn against violence
- Agriculture contributes 23.78% to GDP – Minister
- PHOTO NEWS: Peter Obi visits Emir of Ilorin
- 2023 elections: NUT opens up on candidate to vote
- World Cancer Day: DevComms advocate public literacy for earlier detection
- Fuel Scarcity: Transporters Demand Removal of Sylva, Kyari
- APC postpones presidential campaign rally in Oyo indefinitely
- Ibadan records another protest over scarcity of fuel, new naira notes
- Peter Obi arrives Kwara for Presidential Campaign rally (photos)
- 13 parties vow to withdraw from election if new naira deadline extends