A member of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria was gunned down while rescue and emergency equipment worth N200m was destroyed during a clash between the police and members of the IMN in Abuja on Monday.
Our correspondent who visited the scene on Ahmadu Bello Way, learnt that the clash started after members of the IMN who belong to the Shiite Islamic sect, started a procession around 12pm.
However, on getting to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the police attempted to stop their procession.
While the fracas occurred, it was alleged that the Shiites carrying petrol bombs, attacked the Federal Secretariat Emergency Response and Ambulance Bay.
Two emergency vehicles, as well as the entire bay estimated at N200m, were set ablaze.
An emergency official who wished to remain anonymous said, “The incident occurred around 12pm when the Shiites embarked on their usual procession.
“When they got to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, they were dispersed by the police which had accused them of attempting to attack the ministry.
“During the fracas, the Shiites attacked the emergency bay and set it ablaze while the police were shooting bullets and teargas. In the process, one of the Shiites was killed.
“The equipment damaged cost over N200m. In the whole of Abuja we only have three of such equipment.”
The members of the IMN have been protesting against the continued detention of their leader, Ibraheem el-Zakzakky, who has been in custody for nearly four years.
The protests had been peaceful for over two years but recently turned violent when the Shiites staged a violent protest at the National Assembly last week which led to the death of two Shiites while security agents were also injured.
The Presidency had last week called on the members of the IMN to stop protesting as El-Zakzakky’s case had been taken up by the Kaduna State Government.
Watch video :
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 62 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate