The Vice Chancellor of the Kwara State University, Malete, Professor Muhammad Akanbi SAN, has disclosed that the university has entered into solving the problem of food insecurity occasioned by the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic.
He noted that he said “farming in Nigeria is seasonal, when farmers dont go to farm at the time they should go, it will naturally have negative impact.”
The varsity don stated this while speaking with journalists on Thursday in Ilorin.
The said: “KWASU had written a proposal to the CBN to fund its Agriculture program, we plan to go into farming so as to be able to augment our finances and also assist our host and other communities.
“Our major challenges now is the Covid-19 pandemic which has prevented us to move at the pace we want. We rely more on our IGR to fund the university. The pandemic has really affected all sectors, including government, KWASU is not excluded. One of the reforms I embarked upon is to introduce the much popular faculties systems instead of the college been operated before.
The VC said KWASU would be self sustaining in the next five years without seeking loans from banks. “One of my vision is to improve on our IGR.”
“One of my desires is for KWASU to have College of Medicine. My predecessor has began the process which I will be work on to see it completed. When we have college of medicine we will be able to go into more research and challenges like covid-19 will be summounted.
“A way forward for our professors is to ensure they go into quality oriented research. Research must be proving solutions to problems and not just for doing sake. It must spell out the benefits that would be derived. In few years from now, I believe KWASU will be far more better than far.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal