The Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Senator Godswill Akpabio has vowed not to impose any governorship candidate on the people of Uyo Senatorial District in the 2023 general election in Akwa Ibom State.
This was in reaction to a rumour that he was planning to foist a particular aspirant as the choice of the Uyo Senatorial District.
By the zoning arrangement in the state, the next governor is expected to come from the Uyo Senatorial District, officially known as Akwa Ibom North-East, Akpabio, however, is from the North West or Ikot Ekpene Senatorial District.
The minister who disclosed this on Sunday during the inauguration of the Executives of Uyo Senatorial District chapter of Akwa Ibom Democratic Forum (ADF) stressed that he would not want the mistake he made in 2015 to repeat itself in 2023.
He said he had decided to work with like-minded associates in Uyo Senatorial District (USD) and to nominate a suitable candidate that would win the election.
He added, “I have no particular person in mind and I cannot repeat the mistake I made in 2015.
“Akwa Ibom people of various political persuasions do agree that we need a dependable leadership in 2023. In that case, I will work with all of you to identify and support any candidate that will develop our State. Uyo Senatorial District is capable of bringing up a good candidate that would be acceptable to the rest of the state. ADF will work with Uyo in this regard.”
Also speaking at the occasion, HE Sam Ewang, a former military governor of Ogun and Rivers States said he had several heart-to-heart discussions with Akpabio on the 2023 politics and he was certain that the minister would not impose any candidate on Uyo.
He noted that the imposition of candidates has never brought any good to the people.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector