Africa has largest diseases in the world -World Bank
A World Bank Official, Dr. Khama Rogo has observed that Africa has the largest burden of diseases in the world, and the lowest in accessible healthcare delivery to its citizenry.
Dr Rogo who is the Lead Health Specialist in Africa,World Bank Group, made this observation on Sunday when he led officials of World Bank and Pharm Access on a courtesy call on the Kwara State Governor, Dr Abdulfatah Ahmed at Government House, Ilorin.
He attributed the current state of health in Africa to inadequate finances compared to its rapidly growing population and poverty level.
Read also: What you need to know about ‘Monkeypox’
The Health Specialist who identified health financing as the most important intervention in the health sector anywhere in the world, commended the Kwara state government for its plan to make the Community Health Insurance Scheme a statewide programme in line with the Universal Health Coverage.
Dr Rogo expressed readiness of his group in supporting the state government in providing affordable and accessible healthcare delivery to the people of the state.
In his response, Kwara State Governor, Dr Abdulfatah Ahmed disclosed that the state would soon establish an agency to manage and finance its health insurance scheme on a sustainable platform.
Read also: It’s really crazy how everybody post their private life on social media— Segun Arinze
According to him, the agency will be supported with personnel to drive the concept of financing healthcare in the state.
Dr Ahmed explained that the Community Health Insurance Scheme would draw support from private sector and create strong sense of trust in managing the scheme.
“One of the most critical issues of productivity is health, and it is imperative to deploy resources for improved productivity. As we begin 2018 budgetary process, special attention will be given to health sector to complement what is being done in the Community Health Insurance Scheme”.
Read also: VCs raises alarm over poor investment on Education
Governor Ahmed said arrangements were in top gear to link the scheme with Kwara Resident Identification Card with a view to making the state plan adequately for health service delivery and make the state second to none in healthcare delivery in the country.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Poor awareness of Tuberculosis Disease causing havoc in Nigeria – NTBLCP
- Funke Akindele deletes PDP’s political posts on Instagram page
- Popular music legand, Jaigbade Alao is dead
- We’ll review governorship, state assembly election results — INEC
- Adamawa guber: Thugs protest apparent loss of APC’s Binani
- Breaking…. Kano govt imposes 24hrs curfew as NNPP wins guber poll
- Nigeria not practising democracy but ‘Agberocracy’– Apostle Suleman
- Election victory: Kwara CMO Coordinator, Idris Haroon felicitates with Gov. AbdulRazaq
- Dikko Radda of APC declared winner Katsina guber election
- APC candidate, Ahmed Aliyu wins sokoto guber polls