Mrs Aisha Buhari has withdrawn the defamation case against Aminu Mohammed, a student of Federal University, Dutse, who was arrested for allegedly defaming her on Twitter sometime back.
Her lawyer, Fidelis Ogbobe, was at the Federal Capital Territory High Court on Friday, December 2, where he disclosed that the president’s wife has withdrawn the case following the intervention of well-meaning Nigerians.
The first lady had dragged Aminu before the court over a tweet he posted claiming that she was feeding ‘fat’ on poor people’s money.
The tweet, which was posted in Hausa, read: “Su mama anchi kudin talkawa ankoshi.” It loosely translates as “Mama has fed fat on poor people’s money.” A picture of Aisha was also posted with the tweet.
After two weeks in detention, Mohammed was arraigned before Justice Yusuf Halilu of the Federal Capital Territory High Court at Maitama, on Tuesday, November 29. Although he pleaded not guilty, the judge ordered that he should be remanded at Suleja prison in Niger State.
The police said the alleged offense of the 24-year-old student bordered on defamation and cyberstalking, which contravened Section 391 of the Penal Code.
In the one-count charge marked: CR/89/2022, and dated 23 November, the police said “between May and June 2022 within the jurisdiction of this court, did intentionally open a Twitter handle with the name …Catalyst and screenshot the photograph of her Excellency Hajia Aisha Buhari and wrote on it in Hausa language… roughly translated to English language to mean ‘Mama has embezzled monies meant for the poor to satisfaction’ and posted same on your above Twitter handle.. knowing same to be false and capable of affecting her reputation.”
CK Agu, Mohammed’s counsel, had earlier requested bail for his client to enable him start his final exams on Monday, but the court did not grant the application.
- INEC investigates viral video of extortion during PVCs collection in Enugu
- Buhari inaugurates 10mw solar plant in Kano State
- Court remands woman for pouring hot water on her co-wife in Kwara
- UNA-USA Ambassador, Lady Tee Thompson applauds KAM Holding for promoting SDGs
- Why I am not allocating land in FCT – Minister
- Nigeria records 244 confirmed cases of Lassa fever, 37 deaths in 16 states and FCT
- 2023: Kwara Hausa/Fulani community adopts NNPP guber candidate
- LASU Senate elects Omobitan new Deputy VC
- Abuja /Kaduna train to resume operations on Tuesday
- Diezani drags EFCC to court to recover seized assets