Ahead of his the expiration of his tenure in 2023, President Muhammadu Buhari has said there is no going back on leaving office after completing his constitutionally guaranteed tenure.
Buhari emphasised that the May 29, 2023, handover date is sacrosanct, ROYAL NEWS reports
In a statement issued by his media aide, Mallam Garba Shehu, the president said the current administration would honour the constitution and people’s right to decide.
His reaction follows the suggestions of Chief Robert Clarke, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), that the constitution should be suspended for a new one.
Clarke had said the President could extend his tenure by six months if insecurity could affect the 2023 general elections.
But the president said the suggestion on the need to suspend the constitution might create crisis and instability.
“In response to the Senior Advocate of Nigeria’s recent remarks, the Presidency wishes to state as follows:
Chief Robert Clarke, a very well-respected elder may be sincere in his wish for the President to extend his term by six months. We wish to categorically restate that the President will step down on May 29th, 2023, after serving two terms – as per the constitution.”
“Having been the first recipient of a democratic transfer of power from an incumbent administration to an opposition candidate in Nigerian history, the President is committed to extending and entrenching democratic values across the country. He shall, in turn, hand the privilege of serving the people of Nigeria to whomever they choose through free, fair and credible elections.
“However, Chief Clarke is right to say that without security, Nigeria would not likely realize its true potential as a peaceful and prosperous nation. That is why it has been at the core of this administration. The results are there for all to see. Boko Haram have been forced back from controlling whole swathes of this country.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Dancing Senator, Ademola Adeleke declared as authentic Osun PDP candidate
- Hajj: NAHCON inaugurates, screens medical team
- PHOTO NEWS: Faces at NDC security seminar held in Abuja
- EFCC traces N130m illegal trasnfer into ex-Speaker Patricia Etteh’s account
- FCTA laments influx of beggars from states
- NERC releases update on alleged Tariff increment
- Saraki woos Osun PDP delegates, canvasses support for Adeleke
- PHOTO NEWS: Tinubu visits Kwara, salutes Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Tinubu assures of victory against any PDP candidate
- KWACCIMA pleads with FG to reopen Kwara, Niger borders