Connect with us

Politics

Buhari finally reveals how ministers would be appointed

Published

on

Muhammadu Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has finally disclosed methods to be adopted in appointing ministers who will form his cabinet and work with him.

He admitted on Thursday night that he had been under unprecedented pressure to release the names of his ministerial-nominees.

Buhari who made a brief remark during a dinner he had with the leadership of the National Assembly, however, maintained that he would not be stampeded into releasing the list.

He stated that when he first came into office in 2015, the majority of ministerial appointees were not known to him personally.

This time round, the President stated that things would be different as he would appoint persons that he knew personally, a reason the search had continued till now.

He said, “Many at this dinner meeting are saying they want to see the list of the proposed cabinet so that they can go on leave peacefully.

“I’m very much aware about it; I’m under tremendous pressure on it. But the last cabinet which I headed, most of them, the majority of them I didn’t know them. I had to accept the names and recommendations from the party and other individuals.

“I worked with them for three and half years at least – meeting twice or two weeks in a month. So, I know them.

“But, this time round, I’m going to be quiet me – me in the sense that I will pick people I personally know.”

Buhari, who was sworn in for a second term on May 29, had yet to appoint his ministers more than a month after his swearing-in.

In 2015, the President did not appoint ministers until four months after his inauguration.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

I remain Kogi Deputy Governor— Simon Achuba

Published

on

By

Following the removal of the Deputy Governor of Kogi State, Mr Simon Achuba, by the leadership  of of the State House of Assembly, the rift has taken another dimension.

Achuba, who spoke through his lawyer insisted that he remains the Deputy Governor of the stressing that he was not found guilty of any of the allegations against him.

He said he would challenge the said impeachment in court, adding that he had not been removed.

Okutepa said, “The case is in court. They ignored the case in court. The case is coming up . We are going back to the court. Nigeria is a country that should be ruled by the constitution. We are not a jungle country.

“There is no impeachment. From nothing, nothing comes. You cannot put something on nothing and expect it to stand.”

The Chairman of the panel investigating allegations of gross misconduct against Achuba, Mr John Baiyeshea (SAN), in an interview with one of our correspondents said the panel did not find the deputy governor guilty of any of the allegations levelled against him.

He stated that the allegations against the deputy governor were not proved.

Baiyeshea said, “This is the most bizarre thing that I have ever heard in my life. We submitted the report to the Speaker around 1pm today and I left Lokoja for Abuja. I was at Gwagwalada area when one of the panel’s members who had not left Lokoja called to tell me that he saw it on television that the deputy governor had been impeached.

“As far as the report that we submitted to the House of Assembly is concerned, the committee returned the decision that all the allegations were not proved. What the Constitution said by Section 188(8) is that, ‘once the panel returns a verdict like that. No further proceedings can be taken on it.’ That is it. It is only when the panel returns a verdict that allegations have been proved (to be true) that they can go ahead within 40 days.

“When did the House sit? We delivered the documents and the House was not even in session today, (Friday.) Assuming the House convened, you can see that less than one hour after we submitted our report.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Kogi guber race: 13 political parties back late Audu’s widow for governor

Published

on

By

Late Abubakar Audu

Widow of late former Governor Abubakar Audu of Kogi state, Prof. Aisha Audu of the Young Progressive Party (YPP) has been adopted by no fewer than 13 political parties as their sole candidate for the Nov. 16, Kogi Governorship election.

ROYAL NEWS gathered that some of the parties include the New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP) Nigeria Democratic Congress Party (NDCP) Green Party of Nigeria (GPN) and Justice Must Prevail Party

The group spokesman, Mr Abdulkadir Adebayo made this known while addressing newsmen in Abuja on Friday shortly after signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the YPP candidate.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Audu is the widow of late Prince Abubakar Audu, the former governor of the state.

Adebayo decried the sufferings and economic difficulties the people of the state were going through.
He said that the condition of the people does not reflect what the former governor stood, fought and died for.

Adebayo said that the decision to adopt the candidate of the YPP was to support her achieve the dreams of her late husband.

According to him, our decision was fueled by the need for the total liberation of the people of Kogi.
Audu, while reacting to the development, emphasised the need for a peaceful liberation and rebuilding of the state.

She pledged that development; capacity building and service delivery to the people of the state would be given priority attention if elected as governor.

“Kogi is sitting on wealth yet unemployment is an issue that is why I have decided to be the voice of the voiceless.

“I have been rendering services to the people through a Non Governmental Organisation (NGO) which I founded to empower thousands of people and am ready to do more,” she said.

Audu said that that if elected governor, accountability and service delivery to the people would be her main focus.

Continue Reading

Politics

Edo APC crisis thickens, secretary suspended

Published

on

By

The crisis rocking the ruling All Progressive Congress in Edo took a new dimension on Friday with the suspension of the state party Secretary, Mr. Lawrence Okah.

The state party chairman, Anslem Ojezua, who confirmed it to our Correspondent, said Okah was suspended to allow the committee set up to investigate the allegation against him do its job.

He, however, said the suspension was not a punitive measure but a normal administrative procedure of the party.

“He was just suspended to allow the committee set up to look at the complaints against him. We have not expelled him, no it is not like that. The suspension is not punitive it is just a normal administrative procedure,” he said.

It may be recalled that Governor Godwin Obaseki had vowed to flush out of the party those considered as “dissidents.”

Obaseki, speaking at the inauguration of the board of Edo Development and Property Authority, praised members of Edo APC that had remained faithful to the party in the state, while vowing to flush out any “dissident APC member” in the state.

“I want to thank those APC members that have remained committed.

“You know we have not wasted government money. We are progressives because we want to make tomorrow better for our children.

“Many have derailed. We thank God they have derailed because their hearts were not pure.

“We will flush them out. We own the land. We determine who our leader will be. Nobody can come here and impose on us who we don’t want,” he said.

The APC chairman also said in a separate interview with our Correspondent that the party will not allow any parallel group, saying such group is “cancerous.”

“Anybody that is organising a parallel group in the party will have to contend with us.

“There is no better way to destroy a party than to encourage fractions.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Royal News. MODISULT Media Concept 85 Ibrahim Taiwo Road, Ilorin +2348061346946 For events and parties.