The Lagos State High Court in Igbosere has sent a lawyer, Udeme Otike-Odibi, back to Kirikiri Minimum Prison for allegedly killing her husband, Symphorosa Otike-Odibi.
Justice Adedayo Akintoye on Monday made an order that Udeme should be remanded in Kirikiri prison, shortly after the lawyer was arraigned before her on murder charges.
The Lagos State Directorate of Public Prosecutions alleged that Udeme, 48 years old, stabbed to death her husband, Symphorosa, 50, at their residence on May 3, 2018.
The prosecuting counsel for the state, Babatunde Sunmonu, said the defendants had earlier threatened to stab her husband and eventually made good her threat.
He said after killing her husband who was also a lawyer, the defendant mutilated the corpse by cutting off the penis.
Sunmonu said Udeme acted contrary to sections 165(b) and 222 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
But the defendant pleaded not guilty to the allegations.
The judge, who adjourned the case till October 8, 2018, for commencement of trial, ordered that Udeme should be remanded in custody.
- New Naira notes: Police warn against violence
- Agriculture contributes 23.78% to GDP – Minister
- PHOTO NEWS: Peter Obi visits Emir of Ilorin
- 2023 elections: NUT opens up on candidate to vote
- World Cancer Day: DevComms advocate public literacy for earlier detection
- Fuel Scarcity: Transporters Demand Removal of Sylva, Kyari
- APC postpones presidential campaign rally in Oyo indefinitely
- Ibadan records another protest over scarcity of fuel, new naira notes
- Peter Obi arrives Kwara for Presidential Campaign rally (photos)
- 13 parties vow to withdraw from election if new naira deadline extends