The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has announced the arrest of 13 suspected illegal miners in Kwara.
The suspects were allegedly operating in Kakafu village, Pategi Local Government Area of the state.
A statement issued on Wednesday in Ilorin by Mr Ayeni Olasunkanmi, Public Relation Officer (PRO) of NSCDC in the state, said five trucks conveying assorted mineral resources were also impounded.
Olasunkanmi said that the suspects were arrested on Tuesday by a team of operatives of the NSCDC and Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), as well as officials of the Federal Ministry of Mines and Steel Development.
He added that the operation followed credible intelligence report received by the EFCC over some suspected illegal miners operating in the area.
According to him, preliminary investigations revealed that the suspects have not been paying royalties to the Federal Government as required by law.
Olasunkanmi said that the suspects would soon be charged to court upon conclusion of the ongoing investigation.
NAN reports that the NSCDC and EFCC Commands in Kwara have intensified joint efforts to tackle illegal mining activities in the state.
- TEMPORARY BAN ON PROTEST, RALLIES AND UNLAWFUL PROCESSIONS IN KWARA
- Opinion….THE ESSENTIALS OF GBENGA POWER (1)
- 35 Muslim Personalities, Groups Set To Bag IMAN’s Awards
- New currency: NASS, INEC admit threat to general elections
- Tinubu hails Nigerian Governors over Supreme Court ruling on CBN Naira Swap policy
- Election will hold as scheduled– INEC Chairman briefs FEC
- Bank workers threaten nationwide shutdown over attacks
- Old naira extension: Tinubu hails govs over Supreme Court ruling
- Governors beg Buhari to extend naira swap deadline
- Naira Notes: Supreme Court bans FG, CBN in a temporary ruling