Amina Isah, Abuja
The Federal Government has pledged to pursue policies and programmes that will further assist in the eradication of malaria and other terminal diseases in the country.
The Minister of Science and Technology, Ogbbonnya Onu made the pledge when he received Chike Ogbonna, a professor of the University of Jos who made a presentation on the commercial cultivation and processing of herbal plant for malaria eradication in his office on Thursday in Abuja.
Onu noted that the productivity of the nation and the ability to create wealth is very important to the present administration.
He promised to engage Nigerian experts to study the presentation made by Chike and his team on “A-Z commercial cultivation and processing of Artemisia annua for malaria eradication and Diabetes management in Nigeria and come out independent report.
The Minister added that once the report supports the one presented at the meeting, the Ministry will support the process to develop drugs for the eradication of malaria and management of HIV/AIDS and diabetes.
He said that the Federal Government will continue to support research that will help in nation building because the issue of self-reliance is very important to the nation and it will have far reaching implication that will help in international recognition.
Earlier, Chike Ogbonna, while making his presentation lamented the rate of malaria politics in Sub-Sahara region noting that pharmaceutical companies deliberately produced substandard drugs that are resistant to malaria as to make money and exploit the people.
Calling on Nigerians to commence the production of its own antimalaria, Chike said the ugly trend is affecting population, workforce and economy.
Artemisia plant besides eradicating malaria is vital raw materials for the production of many other important drugs for the management of genetic diseases.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Zamfara Gov, Bello Matawalle urges traditional rulers to tackle insecurity
- 2023: Kogi delegates shock Ameachi after requesting Yahaya Bello to stepdown ambition
- KWACCIMA collaborates with EFCC for corrupt-free business environment
- NCoS Controller advises officers to show good character, be dedicated
- Education, short road to peace, freedom—NIREC
- Cultist suspect who killed to gain promotion, women, others remanded in prison
- Don’t hold rallies in Abia, IPOB warns APC aspirant
- FG committed to protecting Nigerians from harmful use of data- Pantami
- Lagos Govt. says June 1 deadline won’t stop enforcement on Okada ban
- NAF free medical outreach excites Kaduna residents