Amina Isah, Abuja
The Federal Government has pledged to pursue policies and programmes that will further assist in the eradication of malaria and other terminal diseases in the country.
The Minister of Science and Technology, Ogbbonnya Onu made the pledge when he received Chike Ogbonna, a professor of the University of Jos who made a presentation on the commercial cultivation and processing of herbal plant for malaria eradication in his office on Thursday in Abuja.
Onu noted that the productivity of the nation and the ability to create wealth is very important to the present administration.
He promised to engage Nigerian experts to study the presentation made by Chike and his team on “A-Z commercial cultivation and processing of Artemisia annua for malaria eradication and Diabetes management in Nigeria and come out independent report.
The Minister added that once the report supports the one presented at the meeting, the Ministry will support the process to develop drugs for the eradication of malaria and management of HIV/AIDS and diabetes.
He said that the Federal Government will continue to support research that will help in nation building because the issue of self-reliance is very important to the nation and it will have far reaching implication that will help in international recognition.
Earlier, Chike Ogbonna, while making his presentation lamented the rate of malaria politics in Sub-Sahara region noting that pharmaceutical companies deliberately produced substandard drugs that are resistant to malaria as to make money and exploit the people.
Calling on Nigerians to commence the production of its own antimalaria, Chike said the ugly trend is affecting population, workforce and economy.
Artemisia plant besides eradicating malaria is vital raw materials for the production of many other important drugs for the management of genetic diseases.
- Society for Peace Holds 16th Annual Conference Nov. 30
- If you think migrating legally is good for you, go– Femi Adesina
- Lagos 2023: Two guber candidates step down for Jandor
- Housewife, 20, arrested for allegedly killing her co-wife with pestle in Bauchi
- Buhari’s in-law, Sha’aban resigns from APC
- Unilorin ASUU protest alleged casualisation of intellectual workers
- Tinubu will run an all-inclusive government, says PCC
- London museum returns looted Benin bronzes to Nigeria
- Fire guts 150 shops in Kachako Market in Kano State
- 2023 Election: INEC won’t allow PVC collection by proxy