A group, Advanced for World Unity Initiative, AWUI, has instituted a game, “Playing for Peace Football Competition”, as part of efforts to sensitise youths against election violence and other social vices in the country.
Speaking during the finals of the competition at the Kuchingoro, IDP Camp, Abuja, the founder and Special Assistant to former President Goodluck Jonathan on Youth, Comrade Jude Imagwe, called youth to always be patriotic, shun violence and any form of social vices that can constitute threat to the nation’s unity and development.
Imagwe said the initiative was designed to mobilize young people in different internally displaced persons, IDP camps across the country as agents of peaceful co-existence.
He charged the youth to shun any form of violence, especially electoral mal-practices during the forthcoming elections, urging them not to allow themselves to be used as cannon fodder by any senseless and self-centered politician.
He also called on all presidential candidates of different political parties and others vying for various offices, political leaders, elected political office holders, security agencies and all other stakeholders to play the game according to the rule.
The former presidential aide further appealed to all philanthropists and public spirited Nigerians to always contribute to the well-being of the less-privileged in the society.
Imagwe also used the occasion to donate food items to the occupants of the Kuchingoro IDP camp.
The highlight of the event was the presentation of trophy, medals and cash gift to the winning team and all the participating teams in the competition.
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn