The Kwara State Ministry of Health wishes to confirm the first case of monkey pox in the state. This follows rigorous efforts of the surveillance and response team that had been activated since the index case was reported in the country in March, 2022.
The first confirmed case in Kwara State involves a 29-year-old Nigerian driver who developed symptoms of fever, generalised rash, and weakness in the last two weeks and had been under our surveillance.
There were contact with the wife and four neighbours with similar symptoms where he lives at Gbugbu in Edu Local Government Area of Kwara State. All of which have been resolved by the health team.
The patient has been on admission in the last 1 week because of suspicion of monkey pox. He has also been under strict monitoring by the surveillance and clinical team.
Currently, the patient is improving and stable in the ward.
The government’s team has similarly begun health facility and community case search/contact tracing.
The team will also intensify continuous public and community sensitization on the disease and its symptoms for public education and control.
*There is also ongoing training and retraining of health workers to strengthen our response to the development.
The Ministry of Health is also notifying the appropriate agencies, especially the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, of the development.
*Members of the public are implored to step up efforts at personal and community hygiene as we work together to fight this disease.*
Dr. Raji Razaq
Hon. Commissioner for Health, Kwara State
- Ronaldo signs £173m deal with Al-Nassr
- Zenith Bank wins Bank of the Year
- Late Onijagbo was a great servant of God— Gov. AbdulRazaq
- Emir of Ilorin mourns late Onijagbo, Oba Fagbemi
- I’m thinking of getting married for sex, says Juliana Olayode
- DMO raises concern over Nigeria’s debt
- BREAKING…Yoruba King, Onijagbo of Ijagbo dies
- Commissioner kidnapped in Benue
- Oluwo condems burning of Aree palace, vows to go after perpetrators
- I may not use Nigerian hospitals if elected president – Atiku