The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed has described the Lagos-Ibadan Standard Gauge Rail project as one of the manifestations of President Muhammadu Buhari led administration promises.
Alhaji Mohammed stated this when he accompanied the Minister of Transportation, Hon. Rotimi Amaechi on inspection of the project to assess the level of work done due to the stalling of project as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Speaking on the loans acquired by the Buhari administration, the Minister said the several loans acquired are being effectively invested, saying that nothing is bad in borrowing funds provided what is borrowed is invested on infrastructure that create jobs and an enabling environment for economic growth.
“For those who are asking where we are burning the money we borrowed, you can now see where the money is. We made a promise to Nigerians and this is one of the manifestations of what we have been able to do.
“There is no better way to answer Nigerians as to what we have done with the money we have borrowed than this trip,” he told the over 40 journalists who accompanied them on the inspection.
”On this trip, you have seen first hand the stations being constructed, the rail lines and the people who are working on the projects.
“Rather than arguing with critics, we opted to allow you (journalists) – the ears and eyes of Nigerians – to come and see for yourselves what we are doing with the money we are borrowing,” he said.
” We didn’t borrow money for services, we did not borrow money for overhead expenditure, we borrowed money to do capital projects, roads bridges, power generally infrastructure and this is the first this administration in the series of inspections we are going to go along with you so that you can better enlighten Nigerians that there is nothing bad in borrowing provided that borrowing is invested in infrastructure, create jobs and create an enabling an environment for the economy
“Please come and see for yourselves what we are doing with the money we borrowed. I am very excited because of the work done here” Mohammed stated.
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn
- Over 50 Emirs, others witness late Dutse monarch’s funeral prayer
- Emir Sulu-Gambari commiserates with Jigawa govt. over Dutse monarch’s death
- Gov. AbdulRazaq inaugurates APC campaign council in Kwara
- Media expert harps on importance of free press on democracy