Four political parties have instituted a legal action against Chairman, Dr Uthman Ajidagba, challenging his competence to conduct the Nov 18 local government election in the state.
ROYAL NEWS gathered that the four political parties are; Action Democratic Party (ADP, People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Kowa Party and the Labour Party (LP).
Joined in the suit filed by Sambo Muritala on Tuesday were Kwara State Independent Electoral Commission (KWASIEC) and the State Governor, Abdulfatah Ahmed.
The Originating Summons with suit N0 KWS/350/2017 was brought pursuant to chapter IV of the 1999 Constitution and under the inherent jurisdiction of the court.
The parties are praying the court to stop Ajidagba from conducting the election because of likely bias against them.
They alleged that the KWASIEC chairman was romancing too much with the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and even featured on its radio program.
The parties’ counsel, Sambo Muritala therefore ask the court to determine whether or not the act of KWASIEC chairman to have participated in an APC sponsored program on Harmony FM Radio Station in Idofian in company of Kwara State APC PRO, Alhaji Suleiman Buhari and Lanre Giwa APC chieftain is justified.
The lawyer also want the court to determine whether it was right for the chairman to have come to the station to respond to allegation of bias leveled against him on the same radio station on the platform of PDP on Sept 21, 2017.
Muritala was of the opinion that KWASIEC chairman’s appearance on APC radio program constituted a suspicion of likelihood of bias against the four political parties in the coming local government election.
The applicants’ lawyer therefore prayed the court that if the answers are in the affirmative, the court should declare KWASIEC and its chairman are not capable of conducting free, fair and credible election considering his affiliation to the ruling APC.
Muritala is praying the court for an order directing Gov Ahmed to remove and replace the KWASIEC with a credible candidate who will be fit and proper to perform credible election in Kwara.
No date has been fixed for hearing in the suit.
- Court dismisses suit seeking Buhari’s removal from office
- Why there is hunger, poverty in Bauchi State— Ex-CAS, Sadique
- 12yrs of exit: Remembering Alh. S.A. Arowona everyday with prayers
- 52 new Pharmacists emerged at UNILORIN
- Reps reject Naira swap extension, threatens Emefiele’s arrest
- UNILORIN: Female varsity don performs first cancer-of-the-eye treatment
- Fuel scarcity bites harder in Dutse as litre hits N340
- New Notes: We will monitor banks’ vaults– CBN
- Rail transport system coming to Ebonyi soon– Umahi
- Art Legendary, Oladejo Akinlonu dies at 60