The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned the report of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Committee on restructuring.
This was made known by PDP National Publicity Secretary, Mr Kola Ologbondiyan in a statement issued on Wednesday in Abuja.
He said it was fresh attempt to “beguile Nigerians with another empty proposal and hollow promises, ahead of 2019 elections.
Ologbondiyan recalled that APC leaders on assumption of office in 2015, rejected restructuring.
He wondered why the same party would now suddenly turn around to pose as fathers of a restructured Nigeria simply because the 2019 general elections were approaching.
Ologbondiyan said that the APC had no intention of implementing any form of restructuring, going by the attitude and body language of its leaders.
He recalled that President Muhammadu Buhari in his 2018 New Year address also rejected the idea of restructuring.
He quoted Buhari as saying; “when all the aggregates of nationwide opinions are considered, my firm view is that our problems are more to do with process than structure.”
Ologbondiyan added that Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir el-Rufai, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, and Borno Governor, Kashim Shettima, had also at different fora rejected the calls for restructuring.
He said that the ruling party also refused to rally its members in the National Assembly to support or vote for any amendment that dwelt on restructuring.
The national publicity secretary said that the position of the party on restructuring was manifested when the federal legislature voted on sections of the constitution where amendments had been proposed in the direction of restructuring.
“If anything, APC leaders have consistently criticised any amendment that spoke or have a semblance of restructuring or true federalism.’’
Ologbondiyan added that it was, therefore, deceptive that the party suddenly woke up to parade as champions of a restructured Nigeria.
“This is an attempt to once again take Nigerians on a trip to the land of fantasy.
“We, therefore, urge Nigerians to reject the new ploy by the APC to deceive them for their votes in 2019.’’
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Zamfara Gov, Bello Matawalle urges traditional rulers to tackle insecurity
- 2023: Kogi delegates shock Ameachi after requesting Yahaya Bello to stepdown ambition
- KWACCIMA collaborates with EFCC for corrupt-free business environment
- NCoS Controller advises officers to show good character, be dedicated
- Education, short road to peace, freedom—NIREC
- Cultist suspect who killed to gain promotion, women, others remanded in prison
- Don’t hold rallies in Abia, IPOB warns APC aspirant
- FG committed to protecting Nigerians from harmful use of data- Pantami
- Lagos Govt. says June 1 deadline won’t stop enforcement on Okada ban
- NAF free medical outreach excites Kaduna residents