Following the frequent power failure in the country since March/April 2022, Senate has urged the ministry of power to explain the policy toward the frequent breakdown.
The Senate through the Senate committee on power under the chairmanship of Senator representing Benue north east, Senator Suswam Gabriel Torwua made this demand during the committee meeting with the members of the ministry of power on Tuesday in Abuja.
Suswam said that the power issues has lingered so much in the country thereby causing problems to the industries and economy even in the individual homes.
“I stay in maitama Abuja, for over two or more days,we have not had light and I was wondering why Gana will be enjoying light and Nigeria will not.
“We want to know what are the major issues surrounding the power failure and what can Government do to help resolve it”. Suswam said.
Meanwhile, the Minister of state for power, Engr. Abubakar D. Aliyu while explaining the reasons for frequent National grid collapse said the major issue is internal.
Minister further said that there are weak transmission, generational and distribution problems, sabotage of gas pipeline and vandalization which has resulted to total system collapse.
He affirmed that gas pipeline affected by acts of vandalism at kwale has been restored and the okpai I power plant in Calabar that was down resumes power generation and started contributing an average of 375mw.
The minister therefore pleaded with the senators to join hands with the ministry in their various Constituencies in sending the messages to the people that the grid serves all and the acts of vandalization can result in grid instability and system collapse.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Ndudi Elumelu wins PDP Reps ticket for 5th term
- FG imposes new tax on phone-calls to fund healthcare
- Abia Speaker wins PDP’s ticket for House of Reps
- Ali Isa emerges as PDP’s Balanga/Billiri Federal Constituency, Gombe, candidate
- Breaking…..Wahab Issa, Mohammed Ajia declared winner of PDP Reps primaries
- Lagos PDP calls for cancellation of primaries
- Commission begins screening of intending Christian pilgrims
- Ortom expresses satisfaction with work on roads, other projects
- 2023 Presidency: Lawan begs Kano to swing in his favour
- I’ll reform education sector if elected president —Lawan