Following the frequent power failure in the country since March/April 2022, Senate has urged the ministry of power to explain the policy toward the frequent breakdown.
The Senate through the Senate committee on power under the chairmanship of Senator representing Benue north east, Senator Suswam Gabriel Torwua made this demand during the committee meeting with the members of the ministry of power on Tuesday in Abuja.
Suswam said that the power issues has lingered so much in the country thereby causing problems to the industries and economy even in the individual homes.
“I stay in maitama Abuja, for over two or more days,we have not had light and I was wondering why Gana will be enjoying light and Nigeria will not.
“We want to know what are the major issues surrounding the power failure and what can Government do to help resolve it”. Suswam said.
Meanwhile, the Minister of state for power, Engr. Abubakar D. Aliyu while explaining the reasons for frequent National grid collapse said the major issue is internal.
Minister further said that there are weak transmission, generational and distribution problems, sabotage of gas pipeline and vandalization which has resulted to total system collapse.
He affirmed that gas pipeline affected by acts of vandalism at kwale has been restored and the okpai I power plant in Calabar that was down resumes power generation and started contributing an average of 375mw.
The minister therefore pleaded with the senators to join hands with the ministry in their various Constituencies in sending the messages to the people that the grid serves all and the acts of vandalization can result in grid instability and system collapse.
- 2023 election about competence, not religion– Tinubu Group
- 2023: Osinbajo group endorses Tinubu, receives APC letter of recognition
- Kwara Govt converts Ilorin General Hospital to teaching hospital
- I won’t forget Nigerians if elected, Tinubu vows
- Spectrum Auction will democratize broadband for Nigerians — Danbatta
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated