The Technical Assistant (Agriculture) to the Kwara State Governor, Mr. AbdulQawiy Olododo, gave the commendation while commissioning the fish processing centre constructed by the Institute for the Araromi-Ipo community in Irepodun local government area of Kwara State.
The Technical Assistant asserted that NSPRI boss through it’s various interventions such as construction of grain dryers, portable storage facilities, training and retraining of farmers across the state moved the country nearer to achieving food sufficiency.
In his address of welcome, the Executive Director of NSPRI, DR. Patricia Pessu noted that the benefit of fish processing is constrained in traditional practices. This include contamination in unkempt processing environment, poor sanitation and hygiene in the use of equipment and personnel and drudgery of fish smoking sitting at the fire place with lots of smoke in excess of requirement for flavouring, manifesting in high Poly Aromatic Hydrocarbon (PAH) content above allowable limit.
Represented by the Director, Perishable Crops Research Department in the Institute, DR. Adeola Oyebanji, the NSPRI boss declared that the Institute’s smoking kilns in the processing centre have been designed, constructed and provided with needed facilities including water supply and electricity wiring to support improved handling activities.
She therefore enjoined the benefitting community to make judicious use of the centre in order to boost fish processing and enhance their socio- economic status.
The community Baale, Chief Oyewole David Oparinola, the leader of the fish smoking stakeholders, MR. Babatunde Ilufoye and the coordinator of the Justice Development and Peace Mission, Rural Developmental Programme Rev.Fr. Emmanuel Ekundayo appreciated the Institute for opening the centre for use.
- Gusau expresses interest to run for Certified Athletic Administrator Presidency
- Lassa fever death rate raises to 13 in Edo
- APC reveals what will happen as Osinbajo absent at Tinubu’s campaign in Lagos
- Peter Obi takes campaign to Borno, promises to end insecurity
- Distribution of 2.83m mosquito nets begin in Ebonyi
- 2023: Groups target 1million votes for Tinubu in Osun
- Gov. Sanwo-Olu purchases 100 cars for Lagos civil servants
- Ilorin experiences first rainfall in 2023
- Leeds records 3-1 victory against Accrington Stanley firstly in 7yrs
- Naira notes hardship: Don’t come to Kano yet, Ganduje tells Buhari