Members of the upper chamber of the national assembly, on Tuesday mandated President Muhammadu Buhari to ensure those who orchestrated the return of former chairman of the Presidential Task Force on Pension Reforms, Abdulrasheed Maina, are made to account for their actions.
The senators fingered the Attorney-General of the Federation, and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami as well as the Minister of Interior, Abdulrahman Dambazau, as those responsible for the saga and subsequently demanded their immediate sack.
The lawmakers described Maina’s recall as an embarrassment to the President Buhari led APC administration.
Senator Isah Misau, raised the motion, urging the senators to investigate Abdulrasheed Maina’s secret return to the civil service.
“So I understand why a government that is always talking about fighting corruption, then the same people who are close to the president are covering people who are highly corrupt in the society,” he said.
“The office of the attorney-general was stated in this controversy and I think the senate in the 7th assembly and the person was declared wanted. I think in a government where we are preaching that the right things to be done and I think it is a deep embarrassment for this government.
“I think this senate should investigate this matter and find out, how did the person come back, how is that security men are attached to him and nobody has arrested him? Someone who is on wanted list of the EFCC and now a director, I think it is unfortunate.”
Contributing to the debate, senator Dino Melaye described Malami’s action as an abuse of office.
“It is pathetic. I want to ask this question to the executive; should we continue in sin and ask grace to abound? Time after time, the AGF and minister of justice has abused this office. We are not talking about Maina,” he said.
“We should talk about the integrity of the AGF and minister of justice. If the law officer has his hands stained then the entire nation is one a stained.”
“Mr President is a good man and he means well but he is surrounded by cankerworms and caterpillars. We should have the audacity to take strong decisions.”
“Nigerians would understand why the office of AGF and minister of justice is separated. We must recommend to the president that the AGF has displayed gross incompetence for the office it is occupying.”
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn
- Over 50 Emirs, others witness late Dutse monarch’s funeral prayer
- Emir Sulu-Gambari commiserates with Jigawa govt. over Dutse monarch’s death