Spanish Prime Minister, Pedro Sanchez faces a no-confidence motion on Wednesday in parliament brought by the right-wing populist Vox party, as the government grapples with a severe second wave of coronavirus infections.
Sanchez is expected to win the vote, which is due to take place on Thursday, but tough exchanges are expected between the government and opposition.
Vox accuses the government of imposing a Bolivarian communism, a reference to a 19th-century Venezuelan general who led socialist independence movements.
Vox also called on the government to justify its criminal management of the coronavirus outbreak.
Spain was among the countries worst affected by the pandemic in Europe, with thousands of infections, and a series of deaths in homes for the elderly.
Vox party chair Santiago Abascal will stand as a counter-candidate during the vote.
The motion presents a dilemma to PP, the country’s largest opposition party.
Vox was founded in 2013 by former PP members. If PP lawmakers abstain, they could lose centrist supporters.
However, if they oppose the no-confidence motion, they could lose further lawmakers to PP.
Vox holds similar positions to many other right-wing populist parties in Europe.
Contact: [email protected]
- Harry Akande dies at 77
- N100m not paid as ransom to secure release of Chinese — Association
- 18 dead after carbon monoxide leak in China coal mine – Report
- PWDs: CCD urges MDAs in Lagos State to fully implement disability laws
- Air Peace receives another aircraft from C-Check maintenance – Official
- Peace talks: Afghan national reconciliation council holds first meeting
- Ghanaians confident of peaceful general elections
- Ejike Oji wants state govts. to key into FP programmes, develop plan
- Indian minister tests positive after getting COVID-19 vaccine trial dose
- Enugu by-election commences hitch-free, peacefully
- News11 months ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen
- Metro8 months ago
BREAKING…. Kwara govt announces total lockdown in Offa
- Education1 year ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
- Politics11 months ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
- News2 years ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
- Politics2 years ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)