For the first time in 69 years, the University of Ibadan (UI) has produced its first graduate with a First Class honours degree in History.
Vice-Chancellor Prof. Idowu Olayinka said Ozibo Ekele of the Department of History was one of the 186 students who made First Class at the 2015/2016 convocation ceremonies, which began yesterday in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.
Olayinka said 5,629 students graduated in various academic programmes from 12 faculties, including the Distance Learning Centre.
According to him, 186 passed with First Class honours, 1,538 finished with Second Class Upper, while 3,133 finished with Second Class Lower.
Also, he said 434 students made Third Class, while 81 others graduated with Pass degrees.
The vice chancellor urged the graduates to be good ambassadors of the university, saying they should impact positively on their world.
He noted that the students would have graduated a long time ago but for the strike embarked upon by the academic and non-academic workers’ unions.
According to him, the breakdown of the graduating list showed that 3.5 per cent and 28.6 per cent finished with First Class and Second Class (Upper) honours.
Prof Olayinka hailed Ekele for breaking the jinx as the department had never produced a first-class student since inception.
He said: “We warmly congratulate Ozibo Ekele, who is graduating today with a Cumulative Grade Point Average of 6.6 out of a maximum of 7.0.”
Giving a valedictory speech on behalf of others, the overall best graduating student in Law, Tolulope Ogunmodede, attributed their successes to hard work and prayers.
- Samuel Eto’o attacks man outside stadium in Qatar
- NBA President shuns call to bar ceremony presided over by Olanipekun
- Media Watch Group Carpets Security Agencies Over ‘State Of The Nation’
- FG developed Lagos, not Tinubu– Atiku
- Chatham House: Atiku group berates Tinubu’s conduct
- Chatham House: Tinubu clarifies his age, paternity
- Why Gov Abdulrazaq will secure second term– Commissioner
- SAD…. Ilorin-born varsity don, Sulyman Gurumoh is dead
- BREAKING…Dogara dumps APC for PDP
- Adeleke commences salary payment, vows to restore good governance