The University of Ilorin has emerged as the winner of the maiden edition of the Africa Youth Trade Debate organised by the African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA).
It was another display of the exceptional quality of knowledge and courage by the debating team at the contest which was held in Lusaka, Zambia, ROYAL NEWS reports.
The University of Ilorin Debate Team was invited on an all-expenses paid trip to Lusaka, Zambia, for the Grand Finals of the competition as part of the AFCTA symposium held between August 21 and 23, 2023.
The University of Ilorin team slugged it out with that of Kwame Nkrumah University, Zambia, in a keenly contested battle of ideas that attracted dignitaries from all over Zambia and beyond.
At the end of it all, the University of Ilorin team was announced the overall champion in Africa.
The UNILORIN’S team comprised Olayinka Esther of the Faculty of Agriculture, Olafisoye Tolulope of the Faculty of Law and John-Kalio Peace also of the Faculty of Law.
Other members of the victorious team were Ayodele Samuel of the Faculty of Engineering and Owolabi Victor of the Faculty of Education.
Aside the giant trophy won by the team, a member of the University of Ilorin’s contingent, Olafisoye Tolulope, also clinched another trophy for emerging as the Overall Best Speaker at the tournament.
Meanwhile, the Vice Chancellor of the University of Ilorin, Prof. Wahab Olasupo Egbewole, SAN, has saluted the indomitable spirit of the University’s contingent to the continental contest, saying that they have made the University very proud.
The Vice Chancellor, in a statement signed by the University’s Director of Corporate Affairs, Mr Kunle Akogun, congratulated members of the team for their exceptional brilliant performance.
He added that the performance of the team has again confirmed the quality of service delivery available at the University, which makes it the nation’s most sought -after.
Prof. Egbewole urged other UNILORITES to emulate the dexterity of the members of the debating team by always offering their best in every situation as he assured them of the support of the University administration at all times.
- (See Pictures) Court sends 20 internet fraudsters to jail in Oyo
- Gbenga Power rejoices with Nigerians on 63rd Independence celebrations
- CJN to inaugurate 23 Federal High Court Judges Oct 4.
- US Court Orders Release of Tinubu’s Academic Records in 48 hrs
- Kwara Proposes N239bn Revised Budget To Assembly
- Gamji Association Tasks Youths To Emulate Virtues Of Founding Fathers
- Fagbemi dissociates FG from N50bn plea bargain with Emefiele
- Nigeria @63: Peaceful co-existence is germane for nat’l growth— Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Nigeria @63: Tinubu approves new minimum wage for FG workers
- (PHOTOS) Three Internet Fraudsters Bag Jail Terms In Benin