Voters in Darazo town of Bauchi state have attributed the voter apathy in Saturday’s Council Polls to the inability of politicians to do their homework.
ROYAL NEWS reports that voter apathy has characterized the exercise in most parts of the state.
Some of them also opined that the State Independent Electoral Commission ought to have engaged in a vigorous sensitization exercise to ensure massive turnout of voters.
One of the voters, Malam Kabiru Darazo, told ROYAL NEWS that inadequate sensitization campaign contributed to the voter apathy.
He said the key actors did not take the exercise with utmost seriousness, as such people also decided to go about their normal businesses unperturbed.
Another resident, Alhaji Manu Sade, said he was not even aware that Local Government Elections are taking place in the state.
“Honestly I was told of the election but I never knew it had come and a date has been fixed already.
“Since you have told me now, let me rush to my polling unit and cast my votes,” he told ROYAL NEWS when accosted.
On his part, Aliyu Jabbo, a retired civil servant, said the date of the election was announced but was not properly communicated to people.
“I have forgotten but now that I have been reminded, I will go and exercise my franchise,” Jabbo said.
Others attributed the low turnout of voters to harvest activities which has commenced in most towns.
Malam Adamu Sani told ROYAL NEWS that some voters arrived their polling unit before 8am but when the officials failed to turn up, they all left for their farms,” he said.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment