Barely 48 hours to the primaries of the All Progressives Congress, (APC) the Supreme Court ordered the former Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, to face the probe instituted against him by the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike.
The probe ROYAL NEWS gathered will cover his eight year tenure as Governor.
It would be recalled that Rotimi Amaechi is one of the frontline contenders in thr forthcoming primaries of the APC scheduled to hold on Sunday, 29th May 2022.
The apex court held that Amaechi’s appeal was without merit and awarded N1million cost against him.
The panel was to probe some transactions estimated at about N96billion carried out by Rivers State Government under Amaechi.
The Rivers State claimed Amaechi’s administration fraudulently sold some assets belonging to the State.
Amaechi challenged the constitution of the panel at the High Court, arguing among others, that the planned probe was intended to witch-hunt, embarrass and humiliate him.
His suit at the High Court of Rivers State was dismissed, he also lost at the Court of Appeal prompting him to approach the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court also, in another judgment, dismissed an appeal by former Director-General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), Dakuku Peterside.
The appeal by Peterside was against the N6 billion defamation suit filed against him by former Rivers Governor of Peter Odili.
In a judgment on Friday, the apex court held that the appeal lacked merit.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Emir Sulu-Gambari set to install Balogun Gambari as most senior counsellor in Ilorin Emirate
- Divorce: JJC Skillz divorces Nollywood Star, Funke Akindele
- Gov Zulum directs promotion of deserving civil servants
- Kano APC Senator, Shekarau finally defects to NNPP
- Senate Confirms Buhari 7 Ministerial Norminees
- Fraud: Senate summons NIA boss over N/Delta activists’ blacklist by DSS
- Organ harvesting: Senate delegation to visit Ekweremadu, wife in London
- Ado-Ekiti Yahoo-Boy Jailed Two Years for Scam, Loses N13m Car to FG
- Money-politics affecting Nigeria’s political processes— Ex-Minister
- Kwara monarch introduces new currency for business activities in own community