Juventus superstar Cristiano Ronaldo has now surpassed football legend Pele to climb second in the all-time goalscoring charts.
The 35-year-old Portuguese superstar was in action for Juventus on Sunday and opened the scoring in the first half against Udinese with a superb strike past a helpless Juan Musso.
Cristiano Ronaldo with a great opener for Juve! 👏
It's still nearly impossible to stop him when he runs at a defence and gets a sight of goal like that 🔥 pic.twitter.com/U8f30Za0Gk
— Premier Sports 📺 (@PremierSportsTV) January 3, 2021
Ronaldo returned in the second half to score his second as Juventus extended their lead to 3-0 at the Allianz Stadium.
The Portugal captain’s brace allowed him to notch up his 758th goal in his glittering career, moving him one ahead of Pele on the all-time list.
Only Slavia Prague legend Josef Bican has scored more goals than any other player in history with 805 goals in 530 matches between 1931 and 1955.
Fans wasted no time in taking to Twitter to laud five-time Ballon d’Or winner Ronaldo as one of the greatest players in the history of the sport.
Ronaldo, who scored an incredible 450 of his goals during his illustrious nine years at Real Madrid, notched up his landmark 700th career goal last year.
The former Manchester United star’s super-agent, Jorge Mendes, said at the time that his client would surpass Pele’s goalscoring feat while at Juventus.
The 54-year-old Portuguese football agent told Sky Sports: “His numbers don’t lie and light up the overwhelming way Cristiano Ronaldo shatters records, which elevate him to the category of best player in the history of football, with a big difference compared to the second [best] for all he achieved with the different clubs he represented, whether in England, Spain or now in Italy and also with the Portuguese national team.”
Mendes added: “Cristiano has reached the remarkable milestone of 700 goals, but I have no doubt that he’ll surpass Pele as the best scorer in football history, and he’ll do it with Juventus.”
- World cup riots break out after Morocco’s shock 2-0 win over Belgium
- UK Arrival: Some selected pictures of Emir of Ilorin
- Abuja-Kaduna Rail service starts in 7 days– FG
- Kwara govt. re-opens College of Education, Ilorin
- Dangote plans 300,000 fresh jobs for Nigerians
- Minister Okays Security Measures For Abuja/Kaduna Train Transport Scheme
- Adeleke freezes Osun bank accounts immediately after swearing-in
- Adekeke rename Osun after sworn in as sixth governor
- Nigeria to begin processing of raw gold, others — Minister
- Why we retained workers in Ajaokuta inspite not being fully operational — minister