The Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, has alleged that he, his wife and son escaped an assassination attempt at about 4am on Tuesday.
A statement by his Special Adviser on Media, Mr Uche Anichukwu, said the armed men evaded the security at Ekweremadu’s Apo Legislative Quarters, Abuja residence to gain entry into his house.
The statement partly read, “The attackers, who could not immediately shoot in order not to attract the attention of the security personnel on duty, took hold of his son and commanded him to lead them to the Senator’s bedroom.
“It was at the Senator’s bedroom that a struggle ensued, leading to the arrest of one of the assailants with dangerous weapons and housebreaking devices, while the rest managed to escape.
“The arrested member of the gang has, however, refused to divulge any information on the operation and has been handed over to the police.
“Ekweremadu, his wife, and one of his sons were in the house as of the time of the attack.”
Anichukwu recalled that Ekweremadu narrowly escaped an attempt on his life in Abuja on November 17, 2015.
“Although the 2015 incident was reported to the security agencies, nothing has been heard about the matter till date,” he alleged.
- 2020 Hajj: Saudi retains 95, 000 slots for Nigeria
- Saudi compensates 2015 crane crash victims
- BREAKING…. Anthony Joshua beats Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia
- SAD… Reinhard Bonnke dies at 79
- Bureau of statistics releases new corruption rate ratio in Nigeria
- BREAKING…. Court sentences two ‘Yahoo Yahoo’ boys to 6months jailterm in Ilorin
- Everton fires Manager, Marco Silva
- Nigeria will soon be self-sufficient in rice production— Minister
- Minister launches NAVSA, to create 6million jobs in 10yrs
- Committee of CMDs raises alarm over impending problems