The Lagos State government has announced plans to hold its local government council poll in July.
Retired Judge Ayotunde Phillips, chairman of the Lagos State Independence Election Commission (LASIEC), said this in a statement Tuesday in Lagos.
Phillips said elections for president, vice-president and councilors in the state’s 20 local councils and 37 LCDAs will be held on that day.
“The Lagos State Independent Election Commission (LASIEC), the body with statutory responsibility for electoral management and administration, is committed to conducting free, fair, credible and inclusive elections.
“The Statutory Opinion will be published very soon,” said the president of LASIEC.
The Nigerian News Agency (NAN) reports that the tenure of the incumbents, who have been in power since 2017, will expire in July.
The State Interparty Consultative Council (IPAC) had advised Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to set in motion the mechanisms for the conduct of local council elections.
IPAC State President James Adeshina spoke amid innuendo that the state would not hold council elections in 2021 because there was no provision for such an exercise in the 2021 state budget.
He said IPAC members would not support the appointment of single directors or interim committees when incumbents’ terms expire.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo