After a fierce 123 minutes of game time at the Education City Stadium in Qatar, Morocco did the impossible to defeat 2010 World Cup winners Spain 3-0 on penalties.
In a fabulous performance, Morocco’s goalkeeper, Yassine Bounou saved all three penalties from the Spanish side.
Morocco for the first time advance to a World Cup quarter final.
Achraf Hakimi scored the winning penalty goal for Morocco. Hakimi was born in Madrid, Spain to Moroccan parents but chose to represent Morocco instead of Spain at national level. He has made not only Morocco but Africa proud by stepping up in what can be said to be the biggest moment of his career so far, to give the African side the victory over Spain.
Morocco and Spain went head to head in this Qatar 2022 World Cup Round of 16 match.
- NURTW warns members against rejecting old naira notes
- JAMB opens up on extending registration
- JAMB suspends CBT centre in Kwara for violating rules
- COVID-19 remains International health threat, WHO warns
- 59 confirmed dead and 157 injured in Pakistan mosque bomb blast
- Redesigned notes: Lagos residents groan as scarcity hits hard
- West Ham set up Man United tie by beating Derby
- No room for deadline extension, JAMB Registrar, Oloyede warns prospective applicants
- VIDEOS+PHOTOS: When Buhari visited Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero
- Abiola Bawuah becomes UBA CEO in Africa