Rivers arrest lawmaker, Ephraim Nwuzi, for inciting comments
A Chief Magistrate Court sitting in Port Harcourt has remanded the lawmaker representing Etche/Omuma Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Hon Ephraim Nwuzi, to the Nigerian Correctional Centre in the Rivers State.
This followed a remand proceeding preferred against him by the Rivers State Police Command.
The police had accused the federal lawmaker, who is also the All Progressives Congress candidate for Etche-Omuma Federal Constituency in Saturday’s election of treasonable felony, conspiracy, motion of communal crisis and inciting violence.
When the matter was mentioned in Court on Wednesday, counsel to the accused, Emenike Ebete, made an oral application for bail, following the nature of the case.
The bail application was however opposed by the prosecution and the Investigation Police Officers in charge of the matter, requesting that Nwuzi be remanded to pave the way for proper investigation and arraignment.
Chief Magistrate O Amadi-Nna after listening to the arguments remanded Nwuzi based on the allegations.
Speaking to newsmen outside the court session, Ebete said the offences preferred against his client were insufficient to warrant a remand.
Ebete said, “We have also submitted to the court that the offences disclosed in the particulars and affidavit attached to the alleged allegations were not sufficient enough for him to be remanded.
“The court in its wisdom held that the offences are gracious and that he should be remanded in prison custody until the 3rd of March 2023, pending when a charge will be preferred against him by the state.”
Our correspondent gathered that Nwuzi was arrested on Wednesday morning at his residence in Chokocho, Etche LGA by policemen who allegedly broke into his apartment.
The spokesperson of the state Police Command, Grace Iringe-Koko, in a statement said the Supervising Assistant Inspector General of Police for the elections in Rivers State, Abutu Yaro, had invited Nwuzi over an inciting video where he allegedly directed his supporters to attack some persons, including officials of INEC during the elections.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- ICPC arraigns ex-JAMB’s Ojerinde, 4 children over alleged fraud
- World Athletics bans transgender women from women’s competition
- I will run Peter Obi’s model of governance in Abia State – Alex Otti
- No clandestine meeting between Oriwoola, Tinubu– Onanuga
- I won election before without Peter Obi – Alex Otti
- IESA welcomes Alfanla’s emergence as UNILORIN’s Registrar-designate
- My suspension by Ayu last kick of a dead horse — Fayose
- 10th NASS: Experience, competence should be criteria for leadership positions —-Bamidele
- Nigeria Air to Take-off Before End of Buhari’s Administration—-Sirika
- NSIB Sets To Release Report Soon–– DG