No fewer than 20 persons allegedly sustained serious injuries while over 10 vehicles were destroyed during the fight between suspected Osun United and Sunshine fans.
The Aiteo Cup quarterfinal match between Sunshine Stars and Osun United was marred by violence at the Dipo Dina Stadium, Ijebu Ode, Ogun State, on Saturday.
According to witnesses, the invasion of the pitch by some Osun United fans after the referee sounded the final whistle led to a free-for-all, forcing the match officials to run for their lives. Akure club Sunshine won the encounter 3-1, and progressed to the semifinals 3-2 on aggregate. Read also: Plateau Gov. loses brother
The referee was said to have incurred the wrath of the fans following a questionable call against the Osogbo outfit Osun United, who needed a second goal to advance, having won the first leg 1-0.
While the pitch invasion was going on, it was learnt that suspected Sunshine fans vandalised the vehicles which brought Osun United fans to the stadium. They were also said to have attacked Osun United captain Akeem Olalere and destroyed some property at the stadium.
But the Ondo State Commissioner for Youths and Sports Saka Yusuf-Ogunleye accused Osun United of mobilizing thugs from Osun State to attack Sunshine at Ijebu Ode.
Yusuf-Ogunleye claimed in an interview with reporters in Akure on Monday that the attack was planned before the match.
He alleged that the hoodlums injured over 20 Sunshine supporters when they invaded the pitch.
The commissioner said, “Some minutes before the end of the match, Osun United supporters invaded the field, beating and harassing both the match officials and players and it Read also: Man gets 4 months jail-term for assault took the intervention of the security operatives at the stadium to save the situation.
“Most of the supporters, officials and fans were not so lucky as they were injured after being attacked with machetes by the supporters from Osun who seemed prepared for the onslaught. The Chief Security Officer of the stadium was also attacked.”
But Osun State Commissioner for Sport Biyi Odunlade alleged that Sunshine and Gateway FC supporters carried out the attack on Osun United.
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement
- New Naira Notes: Police begins patrol of banks in Kwara
- Naira redesign: Customers urge CBN to sanction banks not paying N20,000 over the counter
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN laments inability to source products
- Gov. Akeredolu swears in new chief judge, 4 high court judges
- Two suspects arrested for possessing, selling counterfeit N1000 notes
- Nigerian Actress enters trouble for spraying, stepping on new naira notes
- TINUBU’S CAMPAIGN SHUTS DOWN EKITI, SAYS NOTHING CAN STOP APC’S VICTORY
- 2023: Muslim Media Watch Urges Security Agencies To Fine-Tune Strategies
- IGP orders arrest, prosecution of sellers of new naira note