Hoodlums, masquerading as EndSARS protesters, attacked the Kwara Command warehouse of the Nigerian Customs Service (NCS) in Ilorin on Saturday with the intention to loot.
In a resistance put up by Customs officers on duty, 24 of the motorcycles and a tricycle that conveyed the looters to the facility were seized.
The hoodlums, however, succeeded in setting part of the place on fire.
Customs Area Controller, Comptroller Ahmed Bello posted on the agency’s communication platform that the hoodlums attacked with guns, machetes, axes, charms and other dangerous weapons.
The Customs men had to call for reinforcement from the Nigerian Army, he said.
“All efforts to address the hoodlums to douse the tensed atmosphere at the Command’s gate proved abortive and officers of the Command were left with no option than to respond appropriately to the spontaneous attack unleashed by the hoodlums.
“Unfortunately, forty minutes of exchange of gunfire led to the serious injury of two of our officers who are now responding to treatment,’’ he stated.
Bello called on parents, guardians, community and religious leaders and opinion moulders to caution their wards on the dangers of toeing the path of illegality and anarchy.
“The Command will do everything humanly possible within the ambit of the law to protect government properties and ensure that peace prevail against all odds.
“It is important to reiterate that officers of the NCS are only implementers of Federal Government’s policies in the overall interest of national growth and development.
“The hostility by hoodlums and their accomplices will never be a distraction in discharging our statutory responsibilities,’’ he stressed.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- JUST IN….. Buhari signs amended electoral bill into law
- FRSC warns motorists against impatience on Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway
- Monkeypox infection outbreak in UK, Germany, others
- 2023: Amaechi arrives Kwara, visits Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Defence Minister salutes Nigerian Airforce at 58 (PHOTOS)
- Zamfara Gov, Bello Matawalle urges traditional rulers to tackle insecurity
- 2023: Kogi delegates shock Ameachi after requesting Yahaya Bello to stepdown ambition
- KWACCIMA collaborates with EFCC for corrupt-free business environment
- NCoS Controller advises officers to show good character, be dedicated
- Education, short road to peace, freedom—NIREC