Engr. Rotimi Ilyasu, the immediate past commissioner for Works in Kwara state, has debunked speculation that he was invited and grilled by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for alleged financial misappropriation over projects he handled while he served the state government.
Findings revealed that an online platform had published that the EFCC invited the immediate past commissioner over an allegation bordering on N20 billion said to have been misappropriated under his watch.
The ex-commissioner spoke to members of the Correspondents’ chapel of the NUJ in the state, on Thursday stressing that he has not received invitation from either the EFCC or any anti-graft agency in the country since he left office.
ROYAL NEWS reports that the APC stalwart served from 2019 to 2023 during the first tenure of Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq.
He described the speculations as parts of antics of political rivals in the area, with the aim to pull him down.
He said: “I have never received invitation from the EFCC or any antigraft agency in the country since I left office. It’s all political. Their calculation is that I’ve become a political threat. They see that I’m bigger now and they want to pull me down. It should not all be about that. Before now, I’ve resolved within me that I’ll not be a disappointment to my people, especially, youth in the state, being a youth myself”, he said.
The former commissioner, who defended Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq for the delay in appointing a new Works commissioner, three weeks after the inauguration of a new set of members of the state executive council, said that appointments are the prerogative of the state governor.
“He even drives commissioners to work and work well too. Permanent Secretaries can work too so are engineers in ministries. Projects are going on in the state, presently. The governor can always get things done. And work is going on, commissioner or no commissioner”.
- Emir Sulu-Gambari condoles with Etsu Tsaragi over Yahaya’s death
- Breaking….Former Reps member, Yahaya ‘Bulldozer’ is dead
- Court convicts self-acclaimed monarch, ‘Oba Dosunmu’ to 6months jailterm
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Ghali Alaaya over NNPCL’s appointment
- Reps Probe EFCC Over Failed Attempts To Rearrest Emefiele From Prison
- NYSC swears in 2,150 corps members in Kwara
- Ex-Rep member, Alajagusi is dead, Kwara Gov. mourns
- Press Week: All men and women must read this story
- Emir Sulu-Gambari mourns over demise of Sheikh Sha’aban and Baba Buhari
- Kwara Governor Mourns Late Scholar, Muyideen Sha’aban